Vision of the East Midlands School of Surgery:
"Developing an educational environment and culture where the surgeons of tomorrow can be trained to the highest standards and are allowed to flourish to their full potential."
If you're looking for superb Surgery training then the East Midlands is the perfect place to develop your career. Whether you're looking for Core Surgery, General Surgery or one of the Surgery sub-specialties, you'll learn at some of the UK's leading facilities under the supervision of national and internationally renowned experts.
"The East Midlands is a fantastic place to complete both Core and Speciality surgical training. Female trainees are particularly supported and encouraged with annual events promoting women in surgical careers with advice for those wishing to pursue similar lifestyles. There are also strong links to the Royal Colleges of Surgeons with trainee representatives on ASiT, national trainee speciality groups, ISCP management and the Women in Surgery committee" - Elizabeth Elsey, Trainee
Keep reading to learn more about Surgery training in the East Midlands.
Develop your Surgery career at some of the country's leading facilities
When you come to the East Midlands for your Surgery training you're joining a region with an international reputation for excellence. And, thanks to the unique geography of the region, rotations are designed so you don't have to move home or face a long commute.
As well as Core and General Surgery training you can also benefit from structured, high quality training in a range of specialties including Plastic Surgery, Urology, Vascular Surgery, Paediatric Surgery, Neurosurgery, Ophthalmology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Otolaryngology, and Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery.
Training in the East Midlands gives you experience and opportunities that you won't find elsewhere. You'll benefit from:
- World-class training in VATs lobectomy and mesothelioma surgery and a newly open VATs PC simulation station
- Career development under the supervision of consultant trainers who are Association of Surgeons of GB and Ireland gold medal winners and members of the Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Exposure to major regional trauma centres with on-site neurosurgical, cardio-thoracic and plastic surgery services
- Training at the UK's flagship hospital for cataract surgical training
- Access to three Da Vinci robots
- Training at world-famous units such as the breast unit in Nottingham (where the Nottingham Prognostic Index was invented), the centre which provided the fundamental research that led to the National Bowel Cancer Screening Programme and the Pulvertaft Hand Centre which is internationally recognised as a centre of excellence
- Training at a centre ranked top of all UK departments in a recent PMETB trainee survey
The East Midlands is one of the UK's most popular regions
Centred around the towns and cities of Leicester, Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln and Northampton, the East Midlands is one of the UK's most vibrant regions. House prices are 44% lower than the South East and 62% lower than London with hourly trains to London taking around 70 minutes.
In your spare time you can enjoy:
- The great outdoors - spend a day in the Peak District, on Rutland Water, in Sherwood Forest, at Lincoln Cathedral, or exploring Derby's Victorian parks
- International sport - watch Premier League football, European rugby and Test cricket or get involved at the National Watersports Centre, Derby Velodrome and National Ice Centre
- Great nights out - the region boasts world-class concert venues, the UK's most established comedy festival and international dance, drama, film and music
"It is also important to remember the value of a work-life balance in achieving training success. This rotation allows you to live in some beautiful parts of the East Midlands and still be within easy reach of all three units, which has made a big difference to me and my family. It has helped my wife’s career, my son’s schooling and my daughter’s childcare, none of which should be neglected when considering where to work" - Jonathan Pollock, Trainee
For more information on Surgery training in the East Midlands please contact our Head of School:
Mark McCarthy - email@example.com