There are many research opportunities across the region with academics interested in various aspects of children’s mental health from the socio-cultural to the bio-medical.We have a strong commitment to research and teaching and work closely with Nottingham Institute of Mental Health (University of Nottingham), Greenwood Institute of Child Health (University of Leicester) and the Centre for ADHD and Neurodevelopmental Disorders Across the Lifespan (CANDAL).
Example Awards and Publications
The scheme has been awarded, following national competition, a prestigious NIHR-sponsored ACF training post at CT1/ST4 level on two occasions (2014 & 2016).
Trainees have won prestigious national and regional research awards:
- Two trainees have won the Margaret Davenport Research Prize - at the 2010 and 2011 Annual Meetings of the Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Faculty of the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- 2011 ACAMH (Association for Child & Adolescent Mental Health) research prize – Sam Thomson: “Adolescents with a diagnosis of Anorexia Nervosa: parents' experience of recognition and deciding to seek help”
- 2011 Royal College of Psychiatrists' Morris Markowe Public Education prize - Val Yeung: “Omega 3 fatty acid supplements and dyslexia: literature review”
- 2015 Royal College of Psychiatrists' Gosling Fellowship - Puja Kochhar: “Investigating co-morbidity in children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Autism Spectrum Disorder using eye tracking”
- Puja Kochhar (2012) and Meghana Kulkarni (2015) have won Institute of Mental Health Publication Prizes.
Recent and current trainees have achieved 1st author (e.g. Kulkarni et al, 2014; Thomson et al, 2014) and co-author publications (e.g. Chakrabarti, Kochhar, Marimuttu, Sorour, Telford).
- Johnson S, Kochhar P, Hennessy E, Marlow N, Wolke D, Hollis C (2016) Antecedents of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Symptoms in Children Born Extremely Preterm. Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics, 37, 285-297.
- Wright N, Moldavsky M, Schneider J, Chakrabarti I, Coates J, Daley D, Kochhar P, Mills J, Sorour W, and Sayal K (2015) Pathways to Care for ADHD: A Systematic Review of Barriers and Facilitators Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 56, 598-617.
- Thomson S, Marriott M, Telford K, Law H, McLaughlin J, and Sayal K. (2014) Adolescents with a diagnosis of Anorexia Nervosa: parents' experience of recognition and deciding to seek help. Clinical Child Psychology & Psychiatry, 19, 43-57.
- Kulkarni M, Huddlestone L, Taylor A, Sayal K, and Ratschen E. (2014) A cross-sectional survey of mental health clinicians' knowledge, attitudes, and practice relating to tobacco dependence among young people with mental disorders. BMC Health Services Research, 14, #618.
- Swift KD, Hall CL, Marimuttu VJ, Redstone L, Sayal K, and Hollis C. (2013) Transition to adult mental health services for young people with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): a qualitative analysis of their experiences. BMC Psychiatry, 13, #74.