Supporting our trainees' with a disability
A warm welcome to our PSW pages related to supporting our trainees with all forms of disability. This is new territory for us but we are pleased to offer our guidance on ‘Working across HEE Midlands to support our trainees with a disability. We were keen to align our guidance to the GMCs ‘Welcomed and valued’ publication (2019) which described how relevant public bodies and organisations relating to medical and dental training (medical education providers and organisers, medical school staff, postgraduate training organisations, local education providers, employers and royal colleges/faculties) might consider how best to support medical students and doctors in training with a disability. We have been working with doctors who are training with a disability as well as holding a parallel session with the GMC at the Developing Excellence in Medical Education Conference (DEMEC) in 2019, both of which have assisted us in the development of our guidance.
Whether you have a long-term condition or a short term illness that might require some temporary adjustments, we want you to know that we are here to assist you if we can. And we appreciate that you may not consider yourself to be disabled but the terminology we have used aligns to ‘Welcomed and valued’ as well as to equality legislation.
Initially we will be piloting this support across East Midlands and to be honest we don’t quite know what the demand for such support will be. But we do know that less than 1% of our trainees declare a disability and the prevalence in the working age population in the UK is 19%. We’re here to assist if you feel it might be helpful for you and also to learn from the experience of our trainees.
Features of our support:
- Our Professional Support and Wellbeing service (PSW) case manager will act as the ‘key worker’ to coordinate your support group with trainers and employers.
- Support group meetings are arranged as needed with your full involvement.
- We will encourage a proactive approach to assisting you in transitions between training locations.
- Promotes the use of the HEE/NHS Employers ‘Health passport’.
- Advice from a specialist medical and dental training Occupational Health physician as needed.
- Support is available throughout your training programme.
Should you be interested in what we are able to offer then do please get in touch with our PSW team at email@example.com.