Midlands Foundation Careers Workshops
January to June 2023
A free workshop for F1 Foundation Doctors across the Midlands to help you consider your career options and start planning your applications strategy. Spaces are available for Foundation Trainees across the Midlands and are offered on a first-come, first-served basis - so book now to be sure of a place! See the booking links below.
This workshop helps you meet several requirements of the new 2021 Foundation Programme Curriculum!
- "The doctor completing FP will ... understand how to plan a career" (HLO 3 - 13)
- "Understands personal wellbeing in the context of planning a future career" (FPC 7)
- "... develops portfolio to demonstrate skills in line with career expectations" (FPC 11)
- "Understand the breadth of medical practice and plan a career" (FPC 13)
- "Understands the impact of personal values on career selection" (FPC 13)
- "Demonstrates an understanding of career options available" (FPC 13)
Here are just a few of the comments from Foundation Doctors attending previous workshops ...
- "I usually struggle to pay attention to online teaching but I really enjoyed the session and I found it very helpful. I think this should be a required teaching session for all foundation doctors."
- "Very useful workshop and I will 100% be recommending it to my colleagues."
- "Great way to kickstart those who are "burying their head in the sand" in terms of career management."
- "Thank you very much, this was really helpful in providing me with confidence for future job applications and for career planning."
- "Overall a great workshop! Learnt a lot and felt I did this at the right time to start building my CV and portfolio in good time before I apply to jobs after F2"
- " I feel more motivated and informed about career planning and how to develop my portfolio now."
Where, when and how?
Where? This is an online workshop delivered via Zoom, you will receive the Zoom link in the registration email you receive from Eventbrite after signing up for the event, with the same link being sent out in reminder emails.
Dates are available through January – June 2023:
BOOKINGs OPEN AT 9AM ON 5 SEPTEMBER 2022
How do I get time off to attend? The foundation schools have confirmed that you should use your F2 Study Leave entitlement to attend this workshop.
For East Midlands trainees: Please ensure you book study leave separately on Accent Leave Manager. (if you encounter any problems with Leave Manager, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 0300 303 3603).
What if I need to cancel or re-arrange my booking? Cancel your registration using ‘Cancel Order’ in Eventbrite or by e-mailing email@example.com. Please do so in a timely manner so that your place can be offered to another trainee. You can then register on to another workshop.
Will I receive a certificate of attendance? Yes, everyone attending will receive a PDF certificate of attendance.
How can I contact the organiser with any questions? If you have any queries about the workshop, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Is there a programme?
The workshop covers 4 main important topic areas:
- How are you managing your career? How to plan a medical career
- Exploring values in relation to career decisions and specialty choice
- Identifying your skills, strengths and development needs
- Linking skills to person specifications and building examples
- Specialty training - options, competition ratios and the application process
- F3 and other alternative options to specialty training
- CVs - What makes an effective CV? What to include and how to present it.
- Portfolios - Understanding Specialty Application Portfolios.
This is a half-day workshop; we will have a short break midway through. You will be provided with a copy of the presentation slides and a workbook with activities and resources to complete after the workshop.